Your thoughts are your choice, and these 21 positive affirmations for stress will help you stop letting negative thinking drag you down.
“I’ve lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.”
Many people attribute that quote to Mark Twain. Many others disagree. Either way the message is priceless. How many hours of your life have you spent worrying over something that never came to pass?
Stress can have that exact affect on us. We may have legitimate reason to be stressed, but then we start mentally obsessing over negative possibilities. We let our imaginations run wild with scenarios of what all could go wrong. Then here comes the negative self-talk to make us feel even worse.
Instead, why not get out of your head and take a more helpful approach? Most everyone will agree that is easier said than done, but this list of positive affirmations for stress is a great place to start.
Will These Affirmations Work For You?
Every affirmation isn’t right for every person. Simply declaring “I am stress free!” might work for someone with strong self-confidence, but not for most of us.
Affirmations may even be counterproductive if they are too “over the top” for you. The list below is designed to be somewhere in the middle of the road, but only you can decide what will work best for you.
Any time an affirmation makes you roll your eyes because it sounds so ridiculous, it isn’t for you. Instead of “I am stress free”, maybe you would have an easier time believing “I am learning to deal with stress”, or “I look forward to feeling less stress”.
Some of the affirmations below may not work at all for you. Others might need to be reworded slightly. The best affirmations make us stretch a little without going so far that they sound absurd. Hopefully you’ll discover exactly what you need in this list!
21 Affirmations for Stress Relief
- I resist the urge to worry about things that may never happen.
- I have the power to choose my reactions, and I choose to remain calm.
- I take comfort in knowing that everything is temporary and this, too, shall pass.
- I visualize myself as the person who always remains confident and cool under pressure.
- I release fears of the future and focus on what I can do in this moment.
- Every day, in every circumstance, I make an effort to look for the positive.
- I accept setbacks as part of the learning process that helps me grow stronger and wiser.
- When challenges seem overwhelming I find peace in focusing on one day at a time.
- I can always ease my anxiety by recognizing all the reasons I have to be grateful.
- I am becoming better and better at dismissing negative self-talk before it drags me down.
- I remain confident that all will eventually work out for the best.
- I take regular breaks to relax my muscles and allow the tension to flow out of my body.
- Every day I seek out quiet moments to be still and give my soul rest.
- When I take time to find my center, being peaceful comes naturally to me.
- I practice deep breathing to exhale stressful thoughts and inhale tranquility.
- I am grateful that learning to deal with stress helps me discover my own inner strength.
- I choose to remain hopeful and find ways to make a positive difference in my life and my world.
- I take pride in my ability to successfully cope with stress.
- I accept that change is natural and let go of my resistance to all that is new and different.
- I look forward to being free of this stress and filled with only peace, joy, and happiness.
- I am a survivor. I’ve always been a survivor. I am awesome!
My Stress Relief Mantra
To help you find peace no matter the problem or the circumstances, I also want to share with you my all time favorite mantra. It’s wonderful for everything from simple day-to-day troubles to major life crises. Inhale slowly, exhale slowly, and as you breathe think to yourself…
More Positive Affirmations
- Positive Affirmations for Work: Powerful Words for Maximum Impact
- 100 Positive Affirmations for Life Love, Family, Confidence & Happiness
- Affirmations for Success
- Prosperity Affirmations
- I Am Affirmations