These 17 powerful body image affirmations can work wonders on your awareness, your attitude, and your all around self-respect. Change your thoughts, and change your life!
How You View Yourself Affects Your Entire Life
We live in a society obsessed with skin-deep, superficial beauty. There is no escape from endless messages saying we should feel bad about the way we look. If it isn’t about weight, it’s about wrinkles or scars or all the other physical traits that get labeled as “imperfections”.
Worse, our poor body image affects virtually every other area of our lives. It lowers our self-confidence, self-esteem, and self-respect. It plays a role in how we treat ourselves and others. It is detrimental to our physical, mental, and emotional health.
The problems created by poor body image can really drag us down, and who needs that? Learning to feel better about ourselves can improve our lives in so many ways, but where do we begin?
How To Develop a More Positive Opinion of Your Personal Appearance
To be clear, this article is not for anyone who needs professional help with these issues. What you’ll find here are only simple do-it-yourself ideas. For those of us who just want to try to make daily life a little more positive, there is lots of help on the web. For example:
- 3 Positive Body Image Activities & Worksheets
The title is misleading as this is actually a very comprehensive article on building a better body image, including activities and free worksheets.
- 10 Steps to Positive Body Image
This article was originally written with a focus on eating disorders, but the 10 steps are absolutely excellent for anyone.
- How Do I Improve My Body Image?
This Psychology Today article is very short, but it suggests a workbook and also a video series that you might find helpful.
- 9 Tips for Improving Body Image and Intimacy
This article is from HealthWomen, and as the title indicates, it focuses on relationship related issues.
- 10 Surprising Ways to Improve Your Body Image—No Dieting Required
Finally, here is a slightly different approach that includes ideas you may not have considered.
Can Body Image Affirmations Help?
There is no question that your thoughts create your present reality. All of us experience ongoing dialogue in our heads. It’s only common sense that the negative stories we tell about ourselves bring us down. Likewise, positive stories help build us up.
Affirmations are not a magic quick-fix for anything. Rather, they are a way to raise your awareness of your own internal dialog, and to help you replace destructive negative thoughts with more helpful positive thinking.
What does not work is repeating an affirmation that triggers instant resistance because it sounds completely unbelievable to you. For instance, if I hate the way I look, an affirmation such as “I love how my body looks!” won’t work for me because it sounds ridiculous.
Instead, begin with affirmations that are more believable. Try for statements that gently challenge your negative beliefs. Your first affirmations might begin with phrases like “I am beginning to”, “I am learning to”, or “I am willing to consider”.
The list below is a good place to start. Some of these may work great for you exactly as is. If not, reword them to create affirmations that are your own best fit. Just remember to avoid using negative words. Always, keep everything positive!
17 Body Image Affirmations
- I am grateful for my body and appreciate all that it does for me.
- I am becoming more and more aware that every body is beautiful in its own unique way.
- I start every day committing to stay focused on feeling better about my physical appearance.
- I let go of my tendency to constantly criticize the way I look.
- Every day I discover new reasons to appreciate and admire my body.
- I am proud of my determination to recognize my own self worth.
- I set myself free from concerns over what others think of me.
- I am discovering that how my body feels is more important than how it looks.
- I release all negativity and choose to think kindly of myself and my body.
- I am at peace with the shape and size of my body.
- I accept my body’s weaknesses and celebrate its strengths.
- I approve of my appearance and show myself the respect I deserve.
- I am beginning to stand taller and stronger as I feel my confidence growing.
- I am enjoying my journey through acceptance into genuine appreciation for the body in which I live.
- Every day I am feeling more relaxed and comfortable in my own skin.
- In this moment, I joyfully accept myself exactly as I am.
- I am learning to love my body and myself unconditionally.
If you find these affirmations helpful, please share!
You may also like…